Why should you Visit Scotland in 2018?
A weak Pound against the Euro makes the UK more popular than ever and the Scottish voters' desire to stay in the European Union has cemented Scotland as a firm favourite destination for Europeans.
The North Coast 500, is as it sounds, the coastal route around Scotland's North Coast. It's just over 500 miles long of stunning scenery and our itineraries and campsite pages have lots of recommendations for explorers of this route. Since marketing of this roadtrip began a few years ago, it is gaining popularity, so come now before the rest of the world gets here.
The Isle of Skye (not part of NC500) is so popular, there are not enough beds for tourists in summertime, so we recommend going off the beaten track in summer and keep the magical isle of Skye for Spring and Autumn visits. Or if you must go in summertime, make sure you have your bed inside your vehicle!
When should you VisitScotland?
The best time of year to visit Scotland for a roadtrip adventure is between March and October, when the days are longer. July & August are the busiest months, June and July have the most hours of daylight. Sunshine and rainfall can be erratic in any month, meaning that Spring and Autumn can be as good a time to visit as Summer. The further north you travel in Summer, the longer hours of daylight you can enjoy. With very little darkness if you go all the way to Orkney for example. If you want to see the Northern Lights, heading north in Autumn can provide the best opportunity. Don't worry too much about the weather, rainbows and atmospheric moody light can make for some of the best holiday photos anyway! If it's star-gazing through the pop-top roof of your campervan that excites you, you may want to head south to the UK's only Dark Sky Park in Galloway Forest.
Germany is Number 1 for Overseas Guests
In 2017 almost half a million Germans visited Scotland and over the last few years Vintage VW Campers' German Guests make up the majority of overseas visitors. It's no surprise that Germans really appreciate Volkswagens’ reliability, functionality & design but so do most people, they are after all “the people’s car”.
Many of our Guests also appreciate living in a vehicle made before built- in obsolescence, as we now live in such a throwaway society.
If you want to explore off the beaten track, or venture further, we are ideally placed in central Scotland. We are a short drive from Edinburgh & Glasgow airports, so it is quick and easy to escape the crowds and get your holiday started.
One of our German guests, Christel Tampe wrote this great blog & took the three photos below: https://kulturblogclub.wordpress.com/2017/09/12/tales-from-the-road-fahrvergnuegen-in-scotland/
Would you like to...
- be surrounded by beautiful countryside?
- reconnect with nature?
- be able to explore an area at your own pace?
- enjoy the health benefits of being in forests & wild places?
- wake up to stunning beaches, islands, mountains & glens?
You don’t have to but it may help, if you like:
- classic VW Campervans from 1960s & 1970s
- the cost effectiveness of having your accommodation & travel costs combined
- being an independent traveller
- freedom to discover magical, historical & cultural places
- friendly locals, keen to recommend their favourite places
- “Slow Travel”
- Adventure travel
- driving manual transmission in a vehicle which will attract smiles & waves
- being outdoors but want more comfort than a tent
- having a digital detox holiday (some mountainous locations prevent mobile connectivity)
- your children enjoying family holidays, like they were back in the day
- being nostalgic for when life was much simpler
- mindfulness & living in the moment
- escaping everyday life into remote, vast & rugged landscapes
- the Friends’ Discount, we offer to our returning guests
- feeling like you own your own vintage campervan, without having to worry about the upkeep
- touring Scotland including the Lothians, Argyll, Highlands, Islands, North Coast 500, Borders, Perthshire, Speyside, Fife or Ayrshire (or even the north of England, some of our guests do)
- traditional music & maybe a wee dram or two (this doesn’t have to be whisky, our craft beer & gin offerings are also fantastic. Scotland has very strict drink-drive laws. so you need a designated driver, or sampling after you’ve parked up for the night. All distillery & breweries offer take home samples.)
Our campervans are fully equipped, meaning you can travel light. If you want to bring lots of gadgets, then choose campsites with electric hook-up to charge your devices from the power points in your campervan. If you want to bring lots of gear, then you may want to add The Nodpod, our Teardrop Trailer to your booking.
Which airport in Scotland is best to fly into?
If you are choosing which airport to fly to, Edinburgh airport is closer than Glasgow, a 19 mile/ 25- minute journey, currently costing £37 by private taxi. Rather than 32 miles/45 minutes/£42, from Glasgow.
Once you are booked with us, we can advise quickest and cheapest routes by private taxi or public transport, which once again is easier from Edinburgh and is currently £11.80 per person.
Flying from Germany to Scotland
is easy, look at all these available flights: Direct to Edinburgh EasyJet flies from Munich, Hamburg, Berlin Schönefeld & Stuttgart; Lufthansa from Frankfurt; Ryanair from Frankfurt Hahn, Bremen, Düsseldorf Weeze, Hamburg, Karlsruhe/Baden and Eurowings from Cologne-Bonn, Düsseldorf & Munich.
Direct to Glasgow EasyJet flies from Berlin Schönefeld, Lufthansa from Munich, Ryanair from Berlin Schönefeld and Frankfurt and Eurowings from Düsseldorf.
Your VW Bulli in Schottland awaits you!
Travelling from England to Scotland
is even easier, with abundant flights and also parking for your own car, while you are are on holiday in a campervan, if you prefer to drive to us.
Our philosophy of sharing these glorious, iconic vehicles in some of the most beautiful countryside in the world is straightforward and we simply want you, the people who appreciate & respect what we do, to have as much fun with Vintage VW Campers as we do.
You can choose your ideal campervan from our 360 VR interior tours or book your adventure here or ask your loved ones to buy you our Gift Vouchers. We also do chauffeur driven Weddings & Events in our 1965 VW Splitscreen, Meg.
BOOK CAMPERVAN HOLIDAY